Thursday, November 14, 2019

Mommin' in 2000's


So….Is this Stay at Home Mom gig everything I hoped it would be? Absolutely Not. Honestly I think it has the same, if not more stress than a full time working mom. Sure, I get to spend all day long with my 4 year old, and I don’t miss out on anything my children are involved in, however, the mom guilt is still there. There is so much pressure on working moms to raise their children like they aren’t working, and there is so much pressure on stay at home moms to contribute financially to their families. There has to be a happy median right? Perhaps this is why there are so many direct sales groups out there. Every mom has been invited to the pampered chef parties, the color street parties and the Usborne parties, and let’s not forget the new lash lounges that promise to give you the most beautiful lashes that you never knew you needed. I fell into this for a minute and actually loved it, however I’m not the pushy sales type that can convince all my friends they need something and need to purchase it from me. 

With all this being said, I’m not one to cave at the first sign of failure. I have always viewed failure as a sign that I tried, and since I tried, I now know I need to change my approach. That’s what I am doing now. I am currently in the process of changing my approach. How? I have no clue. I have absolutely no clue what I am doing, and some days feel like I am just hanging on to the earth as it’s spinning so I don’t fall off. In all seriousness though, I think most people feel the same way. I feel that we are all just hanging on, doing our thing and trying to make the most of everything. 

At this point, we are paycheck to paycheck. My husband had a steady salary pay when I decided to stay home with my child. We had everything planned out exactly to the penny. However, life has a funny way of throwing that curve ball, and my husband’s pay changed. Most people would be scrambling to find a job. I’m not most people. I am very determined, many see that as stubborn, I say call it what you want. 

That brings me to the scramble. The money crunching. Becoming Frugal. Let me tell you, it was difficult at first. Cutting back on the things we indulged in, entertaining every whim to jump up and go to this place or that place. The unnecessary purchases, replacing an item instead of fixing an item. I promise the struggle will be worth it. You have to fight for what you really want, and for me, that’s staying home with my child until he starts kindergarten…..after another year because he has a late birthday. I believe the sacrifice will be completely worth it in the end. 

I hope that I am able to encourage you to keep going, find beauty in simple things, get through the struggle and know that it is only temporary and hold true to yourself even when the world will try everything it can to bring you down. Follow me in this crazy journey to prove to the world that moms are still moms first, whether we find a way to contribute financially or we simply love our children and make the best home we can with what we have. Learn to cut things out and manage on a tight budget, but most importantly learn that failure is beautiful and just the beginning of finding out what type of mom you truly can be.

No comments:

Late night conversations with Ben

Scene- Driving in the car with Brad on the phone I don't quite remember how we got on the subject of Woodchucks, but we did.  Me: Are wo...